Britty Good 4 / The Brilliant Misadventures Of A Britpop Kid 1993 - 1997
Most of my pre teens were spent playing FIFA on the mega drive with my brother. It wasn't until the Britpop years, when I finally got real pocket money to buy my own stuff that music became a religion as it had to. Initially at least, Blur, Supergrass, Suede and Pulp were the ones on heavy rotation but it was the Shine compilations that really got me going with lesser known bands or American’s singing for their supper. That’s when I started my own mixtape series I called Britty Good, rather wittily for an 11 year old if I say so myself. Of course, the appearance of the odd American ruined the concept slightly but hey, I was only one who cared about such things.
Needless to say, during the 90s while I was listening to Mansun's uneasy glam most of my friends were listening to Cher’s ‘Shoop Shoop Song’. All I can say is thank God for mixtapes, they saved my ears from a lifetime full of suffering. I can’t remember how many volumes of these things I did but I would reckon at least a couple a year.
Unfortunately, as so often happens, these much treasured, hand crafted objects of the past soon became irrelevant to me, mislaid or forgotten in various house moves or hidden in dark bedroom corners as I sought new brilliant misadventures and moved onto the next C90. Infact, I’d almost completely forgotten about them until a friend recently found Britty Good 4 in his dad's loft. Quite what it was doing there I have no idea but as I plonked it in my ancient music system I was flooded with memories, memories, memories!
Here is the original tracklisting in all its Britpoop glory. Good times.
1. Oasis / D'You Know What I Mean? / Single A Side / July 1997
2. Super Furry Animals / God! Show Me Magic / Single A Side / April 1996
3. Supergrass / I'd Like To Know / I Should Coco / May 1995
4. Radiohead / Bones / The Bends / March 1995
5. Blur / Ultranol / Single B Side / November 1995
6. Elastica / Never Here / Elastica / March 1995
7. Mansun / Ski Jump Nose / One EP / March 1996
8. The Charlatans / One To Another / Single A Side / August 1996
9. The Bluetones / Cut Some Rug / Expecting To Fly / February 1996
10. Shed Seven / Dirty Soul / Change Giver / September 1994
11. Cast / History / All Change / October 1995
12. Ash / Jack Names The Planets / Single A Side / February 1994
1. Ocean Colour Scene / Hundred Mile High City / Single A Side / September 1997
2. Reef / Naked / Replenish / June 1995
3. Kula Shaker / 303 / K / September 1996
4. Suede / Saturday Night / Single A Side / January 1997
5. Pulp / Something Changed / Single A Side / March 1996
6. Gene / We Could Be Kings / Drawn To The Deep End / March 1997
7. The Boo Radleys / Barney (...And Me) / Giant Steps / August 1993
8. Sleeper / What Do I Do Now? / Single A Side / September 1995
9. Echobelly / Great Things / Single A Side / August 1995
10. Longpigs / On And On / The Sun Is Often Out / April 1996
11. Dodgy / Melodies Haunt You / Homegrown / October 1994
12. The Seahorses / You Can Talk To Me / Single A Side / December 1997