In the fickle, fake, universe of the music industry, if there’s one genuine band who have finally got the recognition they deserve it has to be Elbow, even if they have built their entire career around ‘One Day Like This’, their one moment of dazzling transcendence. After ten or more years as a fair to middling alt-rock band, in the summer of 2008 that one song catapulted them into something approaching national treasurehood.
Solid dependability and a reliable standard of craftsmanship rather than the springing of huge surprises has always been Elbows way and always will be. What you see is definitely what you get and if you allow yourself to wallow in Guy Garvey’s soothing, Northern snug, philosopher wisdom it can be as comforting as curling up on the sofa with a duvet and a hot water bottle to watch Time Team.
If all that sounds a little bit sedate and respectable, well I’m sorry but that’s the kind of guys Elbow are; big-hearted, smart, self-mocking, interested in the emotions of ordinary folk, thoughtfully building songs from skeletal scaffolding into anthemic stadium fillers for those same folk to sing in unison like it was always meant to happen. A well-earned, hard grafted triumph of persistency, now entering middle age, Elbow are sure to be around for a good while yet.
Dan GreenMay 2014
1. Red / Single A Side / April 2001
2. Powder Blue / Asleep In The Back / May 2001
3. Newborn / Asleep In The Back / May 2001
4. Ribcage / Cast Of Thousands / August 2003
5. Fugitive Motel / Cast Of Thousands / August 2003
6. Not A Job / Cast Of Thousands / August 2003
7. Grace Under Pressure / Single A Side / July 2004
8. Leaders Of The Free World / Leaders Of The Free World / September 2005
9. An Imagined Affair / Leaders Of The Free World / September 2005
10. My Very Best / Leaders Of The Free World / September 2005
11. The Bones Of You / The Seldom Seen Kid / March 2008
12. Mirrorball / The Seldom Seen Kid / March 2008
13. The Loneliness Of A Tower Crane Driver / The Seldom Seen Kid / March 2008
14. Neat little Rows / Single A Side / February 2011
15. Open Arms / Build A Rocket Boys! / March 2011
16. Lippy Kids / Build A Rocket Boys! / March 2011
17. The Birds / Build A Rocket Boys! / March 2011
18. New York Morning / Single A Side / January 2014
19. Fly Boy Blue/Lunette / The Take Off And Landing Of Everything / March 2014
20. This Blue World / The Take Off And Landing Of Everything / March 2014