Every field of artistic endeavor has its share of eccentric geniuses – people such as Vincent Van Gogh and Salvador Dali in the art world, each of whom left behind rich legacies despite sometimes bizarre quirks of character. Rock and Roll is no exception. In its relatively brief history, Rock has produced a clutch of brilliant songwriters and musicians who seem wired differently from the rest of us, sometimes radically so.
See if you can guess which of the artists below was so fascinated with Halloween. In 2011, to mark that day, he and his band released a 24-hour song on a disc encased in real human skulls. Below are 10 of the very best.
1. The Brian Jonestown Massacre / Anemone / Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request / June 1996
2. Julian Cope / Sunspots / Fried / September 1984
3. Syd Barrett / Dominoes / Barrett / November 1970
4. The Flaming Lips / The W.A.N.D. / At War With The Mystics / April 2006
5. Love / Seven And Seven Is / Da Capo / November 1966
6. Peter Doherty / Broken Love Song / Grace/Wastelands / March 2009
7. Joy Division / Warsaw / An Ideal For Living EP / June 1978
Don Van Vliet
8. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band / Zig Zag Wanderer / Safe As Milk / September 1967
9. Scott Walker / The Old Man's Back Again / Scott 4 / November 1969
10. Frank Zappa / Willie The Pimp / Hot Rats / October 1969